binutils-2.14 ch6 check DEJAGNU error

Andrew Sharp andrew.sharp3 at ntlworld.com
Sat May 1 09:09:06 PDT 2004

Dear all,

I am stuck in building binutils-2.14 using book 5. I have tried unzipping the
package again and rebuilding from scratch and recompiling, but it always ends
the same when I make check...

                === ld tests ===

Schedule of variations:
    unix

Running target unix
Running /sources/binutils-2.14/ld/testsuite/ld-bootstrap/bootstrap.exp ...
FAIL: bootstrap with --static
                === ld Summary ===

# of expected passes            191
# of unexpected failures        1
# of expected failures          1
/sources/binutils-build/ld/ld-new 20030612

make[4]: *** [check-DEJAGNU] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/sources/binutils-build/ld'
make[3]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/sources/binutils-build/ld'
make[2]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/sources/binutils-build/ld'
make[1]: *** [check-ld] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/binutils-build'
make: *** [check] Error 2

I had a complaint about the kernel not supporting pty during MAKEDEV, but
apart from that, things have been going well. I cannot find an answer on the
web and I am getting a little worried.
I have tried asking for support on the IRC site, but have had no replies.

Is there an obvious mistake I have made?

Andrew