compile speed on lfs 5.0

Bart Van Hove bartvanhove at skynet.be
Mon May 3 15:15:26 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 20:49, mrnobby wrote:
> "shelton" <shelton at onr.com> wrote in message
> news:40957D37.4070108 at onr.com...
> >

> > mrnobby wrote:
> > > I've built LFS 5.0 on a P233 MMX.
> > >
> > > I'm rebuilding LFS 5.0 using the above LFS 5.0 build as the host on
> the
> > > same machine.
> > >
> > > Why are my compile times now twice as long?
> > >
> > > Mr Nobby.
> > >

> > has the hardware changed at all?
> > what services and programs are you running while compiling?
> > if this isn't a live production must have online all the
> > time system
> > (which is doubtful, why rebuild a live mission critical system)
> > then try dropping down to runlevel 1 when building.
> Nothing has changed. I built LFS on RH7, now I'm trying to build LFS on
> LFS, nothing has changed in between. Changing to init 1 won't halve the
> time will it?
>
> Mr Nobby.

Well who knows? This obviousely has got something to do with your
software, though I doubt it's compiled badly if you followed the LFS
Book. Have you used particular optimization flags?

Changing to init 1 might help if some application in higher runlevels is
hogging resources. You might want to check top and free too while not
compiling.

BTW: You're sure you're not comparing apples and oranges? By this I
mean: the RH compile didn't have the configure chached while the LFS
hasn't, right?

--
	Antwerp, Be
	Bart Van Hove