compile speed on lfs 5.0

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Tue May 4 07:44:11 PDT 2004

On Mon 03 May 2004 19:49, mrnobby wrote:
> "shelton" <shelton at onr.com> wrote in message
> news:40957D37.4070108 at onr.com...
>
> > mrnobby wrote:
> > > I've built LFS 5.0 on a P233 MMX.
> > >
> > > I'm rebuilding LFS 5.0 using the above LFS 5.0 build as the host on
>
> the
>
> > > same machine.
> > >
> > > Why are my compile times now twice as long?
> > >
> > > Mr Nobby.
> >
> > has the hardware changed at all?
> > what services and programs are you running while compiling?
> > if this isn't a live production must have online all the
> > time system
> > (which is doubtful, why rebuild a live mission critical system)
> > then try dropping down to runlevel 1 when building.
>
> Nothing has changed. I built LFS on RH7, now I'm trying to build LFS on
> LFS, nothing has changed in between. Changing to init 1 won't halve the
> time will it?

I'm not sure if this is applicable, but on Chris's Bleeding Edge LFS disk, the
instructions mention that newer versions of GCC are slower than older ones.

I would guess that the RedHat version of GCC is significantly faster than the
LFS version. This would explain the slower compile times

But, that does not mean the box will run slow. GCC is notorious for creating
extremely large hash tables and other memory structures in memory, and if
memory is limited, swapping slows everything down. But the resulting binaries
show run as fast or faster.

Just the thought.

Cheers,

	John Gay