LFS5.0 Chapter 6 GCC pg 123/289 -- LONG

Jochen Schroeder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Thu May 6 05:41:48 PDT 2004

Mark Carey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am now stuck trying to build GCC in Chapter 6.  I apply the two patches
> specified and building gcc after issuing the ``make'' command causes variable
> behaviour.
>
> Build Host:
> Knoppix V3.2
> AMD Athlon XP 2000+
> 256MB RAM
> 512MB swap partition
>
> As the build host is Knoppix I have had to chmod 666 /dev/ptmx inorder to get
> pty support working.  I have tried building from runlevels 1, 3, fluxbox and
> kde with varying levels of completion
>
> Here are 4 snippets of failures from different runlevels.  Messages captured
> using make > ../gcc-build-errors-1 so the error causing failure is not
> captured.  Error can be a seg fault in cc1plus sometimes no direct failure
> results and make reports error and exits.

This could be a hardware issue, but first try using "make &> build-log"
so that we can see the errors where and why compilation fails. This will
redirect std-out and std-error to build-log (another way to achieve this
would be "make > build-log 2>&1"). Usually if compiling a big package
like e.g. gcc fails at different points it has to do with hardware,
something like overheating, faulty memory etc.. Try running memtest86 on
your computer to check if you maybe have some faulty memory.

HTH
Jochen