problem with bash2.05b

Jochen Schroeder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Thu May 6 05:47:05 PDT 2004

blux.net at lineone.net wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am having some dificulty with bash 2.05b.  The lFS system boots ok and
> I can log in as user or root. But the prompt  shown is for example 'sh-2.05b$'.
>  In the phase when I was trying to get the system up and running I did not
> pay much attention to this.  However I am now at the stage of adding programs
> (eg openssh, ftp etc)  that require a login and I find I cannot login although
> the programs are correcly installed.  Some help would be appreciaed.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly when you say that you cannot
login. If you have a prompt you are already logged in, the prompt you
are seeing is the default bash prompt. What you might want is that your
prompt looks like this [14:44:12]-jschrod:~$, if that is the case you
need to set $PS1 in /etc/profile and or ~/.bash_profile ~./bashrc. Have
a look at the /etc/profile section in blfs, that should explain some
things, also man bash and the bash-prompt-howto on tldp.org should help.

Cheers
Jochen