problem with bash2.05b

blux.net at lineone.net blux.net at lineone.net
Thu May 6 08:41:43 PDT 2004

Jochen Schroeder wrote{
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly when you say that you cannot

login. If you have a prompt you are already logged in, the prompt you
are seeing is the default bash prompt. What you might want is that your

prompt looks like this [14:44:12]-jschrod:~$, if that is the case you
need to set $PS1 in /etc/profile and or ~/.bash_profile ~./bashrc. Have

a look at the /etc/profile section in blfs, that should explain some
things, also man bash and the bash-prompt-howto on tldp.org should help.

Cheers
Jochen
}

Thanks for the help,

I now have  a 'normal' login prompt (see attached file).  However I still
cannot login with  ssh nor ftp.  Details are in the attached file.  I have
checked vsftpd and ssh  installation/configuration   with other distributions
(eg SuSE9 and they worked).  I have also checked /etc/password and the shell
field are set to /bin/bash  for both root and normal user.

suggestions welcomed

regards
Blux