compiler optimizations

Richard A Downing FBCS richard at 109bean.org.uk
Fri May 7 08:37:40 PDT 2004

ilja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know the LFS book strongly advices agains using compiler
> optimizations, but I'm in my 4th LFS compile, and to keep things
> excited, I'm going ahead with:
> "-O3 -march=pentium3". I'm just to currious about the effect.
> I'm in chapter 6 and Glibc has just compiled and been checked. No errors
> found.
> So, I'm about to install the first and most important library, but then
> again, I'm no fool. -in contrast to what some of my friends think ;)-.
> Is this a project bound to hit the wall or do you give me a chance in
> succeeding?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ilja

I think, provided you run the package tests on GCC, Binutils and GLIBC,
and get the expected results that you will learn if you get away with it
or not.  The next question is: "was it worth it?"  Many have tried
optimisations only to find they make the system slower or the binaries
larger or some such.

If you want excitment, build the version in cvs HEAD (once known as
Bleeding-Edge LFS).  It's the latest kernel, the latest compiler, a
risky late date glibc from cvs...  and then you can help us validate the
instructions too. (subscribe to lfs.hackers mailing list first though).

--
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP
http://www.109bean.org.uk/