compiler optimizations

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri May 7 11:20:46 PDT 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, ilja wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know the LFS book strongly advices agains using compiler
> optimizations, but I'm in my 4th LFS compile, and to keep things
> excited, I'm going ahead with:
> "-O3 -march=pentium3". I'm just to currious about the effect.
> I'm in chapter 6 and Glibc has just compiled and been checked. No errors
> found.
> So, I'm about to install the first and most important library, but then
> again, I'm no fool. -in contrast to what some of my friends think ;)-.
> Is this a project bound to hit the wall or do you give me a chance in
> succeeding?

 Tried -O3 on an LFS-4.1 install a while back (did a 'plain' install
with -Os, then wanted to compare -O3).  All I remember for sure is that
it broke at least one of the toolchain apps, probably binutils.  Of
course, now we do a "pure" install and can check how well/badly it all
works [ checking _pass_1_ binutils in current builds is not for the
squeamish! ].  I've been meaning to try -Os and LDFLAGS=-s for some
time, but it hasn't fitted with the other issues I've been testing.  One
day!

Ken