compiler optimizations

Matthias Benkmann msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Fri May 7 12:01:25 PDT 2004

On Fri, 07 May 2004 14:28:03 +0100 ilja <sjerra at cinar.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know the LFS book strongly advices agains using compiler
> optimizations, but I'm in my 4th LFS compile, and to keep things
> excited, I'm going ahead with:
> "-O3 -march=pentium3". I'm just to currious about the effect.

What kind of effect do you expect?  There's nothing in LFS that's worth
optimizing. All of the interesting stuff for which you could feel a speed
increase is in BLFS.
MPEG en/decoders, Mozilla, games,... that's where you could feel a
difference. None of those will benefit from the time you waste on
optimizing base LFS. Not even an optimized glibc will give you noticeable
improvements, because it contains few functions that benefit from
optimization beyond the defaults.

Besides, -O3 is known to often make code run SLOWER not faster.

MSB

--
I'm old enough to be as childish as I want to be.