compile speed on lfs 5.0

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri May 7 16:23:46 PDT 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, mrnobby wrote:

> > The other thing that would slow an old box down is forgetting to use
> >swap. but I'm sure you've checked that in `top'.
> I had to go and check :-) Yes it is in 'top'. BUT I also checked
> /proc/swaps and that looks a little worrying, it says:
>
> Filename        Type        Size    Used    Priority
> /dev/hda2       partition   128512  0       1
>
> Should used be 1? Or is that zero indicating the first swap device?

 That's "Used" as in "how much is being used".  It's enabled, but
nothing has been swapped yet.  My own /proc/swaps shows 152 in that
field.

 Shit, 1024MB of memory (904716k available - no himem), one console
session (not doing anything), second session used for startx, icewm, 2
xterms, one galeon-1.2 (which shows 28MB in the extra "term"  I've now
opened for top).  Also running sshd, postfix, fetchmail, SpamAssassin.
279872k active, 294508k inactive, 306376k cached, 20708k free, but 152k
used in Swap.

 You gotta love the way 2.4 kernels use swap given half a chance.  I've
noticed a swap-happiness before on my AmigaOne, but that's a different
(old, unmerged) kernel tree.  How do you manage to do withoout ? ;-)

Ken