compile speed on lfs 5.0

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Sat May 8 07:03:48 PDT 2004

On Fri 07 May 2004 19:16, mrnobby wrote:
> "John Gay" <johngay at eircom.net> wrote in message
> news:200405052326.03772.johngay at eircom.net...

> > > Thanks, unfortunatley, it was not only gcc, it was *all* packages
> > > created for stage 1. They were all 2x longer to within a few
>
> minutes.
>
> > > I'm not bothering with stage 2 until I fathom this out.
> >
> > You mis-understood what I was saying. gcc in my LFS host is what is
>
> running
>
> > slower than the gcc in the RedHat host. Therefore 'all' package builds
>
> will
>
> > be slower, not just the gcc build.
>
> I see, I presume this is because the version in LFS is newer and weighed
> down with more features?

Actually, as I understand it, gcc-3.x makes major improvements in optimizing
for MMX ans SSE instructions in the Pentium family. As these are non-trivial
to optimize for, I imagine it takes much larger memory structures to search
for optimizing. I would consider this a required feature that was missing
from the 2.9x family of gcc, not feature bloat.

Cheers,

	John Gay