LFS5.0 Chapter 6 GCC pg 123/289 -- LONG PART 3

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat May 8 12:09:14 PDT 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Mark Carey wrote:

> Ok,
>
> So I ran memtest86 from a boot floopy from 12:30 this morning until 1:30 this
> afternoon.  I have run memtest86 in `standard' mode and in `all' mode.  During
> this time memtest86 found no errors whatsever, nothing.

 Hmm, it certainly smelt like memory errors in your earlier posting, but
12 hours ought to be enough to show /most/ problems in memtest (I've
seen occasional reports on lkml where much longer testing was needed,
but my recent experiences with one stick that failed and with trying to
find "compatible" sticks for different old boxes suggest that if it
completes a whole pass of the tests then it's probably ok).

 The other problem I get here is on my AmigaOne (not the world's best
box for running linux at the moment).  With gcc-3.3.3 I count myself
lucky to complete a full LFS build without internal compiler errors.  I
suspect a cooling problem (gcc-3.3.3 works it hard, sometimes the top of
the case is quite warm).  Maybe you too have got a cooling problem.

Ken