compile speed on lfs 5.0

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat May 8 12:33:18 PDT 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004, mrnobby wrote:

> Hmm, I'm currently building LFS on a i386, and have built it
> (apparently) successfully on a i486, the P-233MMX in question, an
> K6-2-500, an Athlon 1200, and an Athlon 2x MP-2400. Now, when I am
> recompiling with LFS as the host, surely the original gcc version does
> not matter? Isnt the temporary system supposed to weed out any
> inconsistencies?

 Sure.  Once you get into chroot, you're isolated from the host's tools.
Once you reboot the new LFS you're no longer at risk of badness
(primarily, oopses and failures in the more obscure subsystems) from a
kernel compiled by a not-always-good-enough compiler.  In practice, even
gcc-2.96-54 was good enough for most combinations of kernel options.
Even gcc-3.0.4 worked on some x86 kernels.

Ken