compile speed on lfs 5.0

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat May 8 12:40:47 PDT 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004, John Gay wrote:

> Actually, as I understand it, gcc-3.x makes major improvements in optimizing
> for MMX ans SSE instructions in the Pentium family. As these are non-trivial
> to optimize for, I imagine it takes much larger memory structures to search
> for optimizing. I would consider this a required feature that was missing
> from the 2.9x family of gcc, not feature bloat.

Gcc-3, particularly the 3.3 series, is much more standards-compliant for
c++ [ if I've understood the issues correctly ].  gcc-3.3.3 is much
better at coping with combinations of CFLAGS which can sometimes create
internal errors in previous 3.3-series versions.  The resulting code may
even run faster.  The downside is that compilation is much slower.

Ken