Boot hangs

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon May 10 13:14:11 PDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Florian Dörsch wrote:

> Hello,
> i've a big problem, i compiled and set up the lfs-system normally, but after
> the moment it says
>
> "Bringing up eth0... [ OK ]"
>
> , the system hangs and does not spawn a getty. The strange thing is, in the
> logfiles (if I boot with a SuSE CD, it works) it says /dev/tty1: No such
> file or directory. Also the syslogd-Daemon can't access a tty, it says also
> /dev/tty10: Permission denied.

is /dev/tty10 a typo, or does it really say that ?

 You say you can boot with a SuSe CD - you're using that to boot into
LFS ?  And it is functional on all 6 ttys ?

> I've created the devices correctly!

char major 4, mode 600 ?  In that casse, whatever is trying to access
/dev/tty1 (getty?) might be either a symlink to a non-existent file (did
that myself tonight on a BLFS config file) or (more likely) linked
against something that isn't there now.

 I'm assuming that in the base install whatever brings up eth0
(S20network ?) is the last thing in rc3.d.