Segmentationfall after coreutils-5.2.1

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue May 11 05:20:31 PDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Frank Schwerin wrote:

> Hy,
>
> i just like to build LFS-5.0-Pre-2.

( A quick read of your versions indicates 5.1-pre2 so that's ok.)

> i just created the tools-chain Directory with fresh sources.
>
> I have compile glibc-2.3.3, gcc-3.3.3, binutils-2.14.
> Now just compile corutils-5.2.1 with:
>
> rm -r /usr/src/coreutils-5.2.1
> cd /usr/src
> tar xfj src/coreutils-5.2.1.tar.bz2
>
> cd /usr/src/coreutils-5.2.1
> patch -Np1 -i /usr/src/src/patch/coreutils-5.2.1-hostname-1.patch
> patch -Np1 -i /usr/src/src/patch/coreutils-5.2.1-uname-1.patch
>
> rm -r /usr/src/coreutils-build
> mkdir /usr/src/coreutils-build
> cd    /usr/src/coreutils-build
>
> DEFAULT_POSIX2_VERSION=199209 /usr/src/coreutils-5.2.1/configure
> -prefix=/usr
> make -s
>
> when i type in ./src/ls i got a segmentationfall from ls. ls don't work.
> Has anybody an hint for me??

 You are in chapter 6, aren't you ?  I'm not sure if an uninstalled
src/ls is even _supposed_ to work.  I suggest trying to run the tests,
that will be more conclusive.

 This sort of problem used to be common, but that was years ago,
apparently on AMD processors, and believed to be associated with
something in the host's glibc (see the archives, there was a patch).

 Now that we've moved to the pure LFS method (build /tools linked
dynamically, with two passes of binutils and gcc in chapter 5) nobody
gets the old problem.

> Gruss aus Wetter an der Ruhr
>
> Frank Schwerin

Ken