util-linux 2.12a fails, headers = kernel 2.6.6

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue May 11 09:47:49 PDT 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004, James Buchanan wrote:

> When compiling util-linux-2.12a a file included from mount.c (loop.h)
> include my_dev_t.h (or whatever), which #define's my_dev_t (or
> whatever) to be __kernel_dev_t.  But this doesn't seem to work at all.
> I'm using GCC 3.3.2 with the 2.6.6 kernel headers.  I had to use sed
> to do an extra search and replace, to replace /usr/lib with
> /tools/lib.  Would that have broken it?  I wonder if it's even looking
> for the correct kernel headers?  Should I add
> kernel-2.6.6/include/whatever-has-kernel_dev_t to that file to fix it?
>
> Cheers
> James

 Which flavour of the build are you following ? (nptl hint, what
will be LFS-6.0, what will be LFS-6.1, some version of belfs, ...)  I'm
particularly puzzled about using gcc-3.3.2 rather than 3.3.3 (although
it isn't relevant to your problem).

 The shortest answer is that there is a kernel-headers patch out there.
I think I got it from the belfs site, but I don't have the URL handy.

 A slightly longer answer is that using 2.6.6 kernel headers is not for
the faint-hearted.  Most people seem to have moved over to
linux-libc-headers (formerly referred to as the PLD headers).  You'll
still need to patch a few things.

Ken