util-linux 2.12a fails, headers = kernel 2.6.6

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue May 11 12:01:46 PDT 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004, James Buchanan wrote:

> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >  Which flavour of the build are you following ? (nptl hint, what
> > will be LFS-6.0, what will be LFS-6.1, some version of belfs, ...)  I'm
> > particularly puzzled about using gcc-3.3.2 rather than 3.3.3 (although
> > it isn't relevant to your problem).
>
> I'm using LFS 5.0.  Maybe I should use LFS something else... which one
> deals with Linix kernel 2.6.x and all the latest packages (unless they
> are buggy?)

 There is no problem running 2.6 kernels against LFS-5 (or indeed
earlier LFS's).  Similarly, building LFS-5 *with-2.4-headers* and a 2.6
kernel.

 OTOH, if you want to move on to nptl and/or udev then you'll want what
is going to be 6.0 or 6.1.  I'm not entirely sure how to get what will
be 6.0 (it's come up in the last few days, I think you can pull the book
from CVS using a b6_0 tag ?), while the future 6.1 is in CVS HEAD.  Of
course, if you're not on i686 expect pain as a matter of course!

 In theory, the 6.0 series will already be supported on this list and
6.1 isn't for those who need support, at least if I've understood
correctly.  YMMV, E&OE.

Ken