util-linux 2.12a fails, headers = kernel 2.6.6

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue May 11 13:28:42 PDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Durk van Veen wrote:

> [snip]
>

> The other system was originally built using 2.4.22 headers and is currently
> running 2.4.26. I tried running 2.6.4 on this system but when I did, X
> failed to start. Reboot back into a 2.4 kernel and everything works... I'm
> running KDE 3.2.2 using KDM as the login manager on this, booting to
> runlevel 5. I have no idea yet what's causing the problem.

 Probably what comes of using an early kernel, but I remember reports of
this.  Didn't affect me.  I've seen problems going back to a framebuffer
after using X on a matrox G400 (seems to be fixed in 2.6.5), and various
other oddities.

 At the risk of straying into BLFS territory, look at whatever was in
the log from X (I don't even know if it logs differently in runlevel 5).

Ken