MAKEDEV script, lfs 5.1 pre2 and kernel issues

Daniel Ignat daniel.ignat at splinux.com
Wed May 12 07:45:58 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 16:19, Miguel Bazdresch wrote:
> * Daniel Ignat <daniel.ignat at splinux.com> [2004-05-12 16:07]:
> > I suggest that the MAKEDEV script be modified
> > to support hda1 to hda10 or 12 to avoid that
> > in the future, i dont think it's a strange
> > configuration i have, but rather normal..
>
> This has been discussed before, and the consensus is that it will not be
> modified. MAKEDEV's purpose is primarily educational and only by
> accident functional: you have to read it and modify it according to your
> needs, in the mean time learning all there is to know about mknod, your
> hardware, and the linux/hardware interface :)

maybe i was a little bit misunderstood.

ok. i understand that there was a discussion and i dont wanna
fire it again. But then i think that the user should be
warned in the lfs book that MAKEDEV is just doing that,
installing only hda1-7, and if you need more, do it by yourself.
We are not talking about some weird or 'deluxe' configuration,
we are talking about HDD partitioning and detection, which
means *basic* setup and may render grub (in my case) and all
the nice build unuseful.. although you made it all correctly
and you need only one step to boot..

i like the lfs book very much because it has many details
and following it you can have a functional system build
from scratch by yourself! It's great!

I agree. Ppl decided to keep the MAKEDEV so. Ok. No problem
with that, but tell the user that detail, so that he/she can
take the appropriate action. I think it should be put as a
little warning, like many other useful warnings in the lfs book.

this is my last message on this subject. i will not continue
with it. if you find useful my opinion, use it, if not, it's ok.

Daniel BI