Lfs v 3.3

Jochen Schroeder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Wed May 12 09:53:11 PDT 2004

AlbrtNew at aol.com wrote:
> Hi !
>
>       I have just discovered your project, having been given a CD
> Labelled: 'packages linuxfromscratch.org 09-09-2002 with version 3.3 '.
LFS is currently at 5.0 and 5.1 will be coming out shortly, also there
is work well underway to integrate 2.6 kernel and nptl into the book
which will be 6.0. If you're on x86 you are probably save to use 5.1-pre
so check that one out.

>       Having ' played around ' with various  Dists. for two or three
> years - without any conspicuous success, I hasten to add; I believe that
> what you have to offer is exactly what I have been looking for, inasmuch
> as. having always been more interested in the design of systems rather
> than the applications, I have tried to investigate ' basics ' so that I
> could understand what makes things ' Gel '. This being so I was
> wondering if you could offer me some sound advice on the best way to go
> about things and which of the following dists' might be the best '
> surrogate ' to my Bfs:
>
> Suse 8.0 Professional
> Mandrake 9.0 PowerPack
> Caldera Open Linux Desktop 2.4
> Debian 3.0
> FreeBSD
> RedHat 7.2
> InfoMagic
>
> All of which I have, at some time, partially installed.

Any Linux distri should work, although if RedHat 7.2 is using the
infamous gcc-2.96.x compiler, I would refrain from using that, might
save you a lot of trouble. Building from BSD should in principle be
possible and somebody probably has already done it, but for your first
couple of builds stick to linux.

Happy lfs'ing

Jochen