unable to start the build of binutils-2.14

Keith Antoine kantoine at optusnet.com.au
Wed May 12 23:49:11 PDT 2004

First I am very new to LFS but not of necessity new to linux. I do however
have a short term memory problem due to a heart attack, hence I think this is
where the problem lies. Now at the age of 70 I have memory problems per see
<|-).

I do not suppose that the hardware has any bearings on thsi so i'll ignore.
The Distro I am running is dvd version of Mandrake 10 (community).
LFS is installed as per the book from /mnt/lfs and has the following:
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 May 12 17:55 binutils-build/
drwx------  2 root root 4096 May  9 10:39 lost+found/
drwxrwxrwt  6 lfs  root 4096 May 12 20:10 sources/
drwxr-xr-x  2 lfs  root 4096 May 12 13:33 tools/
all the above according to the book which I am doing copy/paste.

Where is binutils-build supposed to be in the root of lfs or in sources.

Looking at the command ../binutils-2.14, this suggests that its in sources,
but the instructions reccomend it to be outside sources in a dedicated build
directory. This says to me that it is in the root of lfs, which is correct
please? If I put the dir in sources I can do a configure.

Also am I supposed to be logged in as su - lfs to do the builds?

Why also does /home/lfs exist in the mandrake /home dir.

A pointer in the right direction would be appreciated.

Keith Antoine
Registered Geriatiric, Sometime Electronics Engineer, Brain in storage