unable to start the build of binutils-2.14

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Thu May 13 00:04:22 PDT 2004

Keith Antoine wrote:
<snip>
> Where is binutils-build supposed to be in the root of lfs or in sources.

It is supposed to be in sources.

> Looking at the command ../binutils-2.14, this suggests that its in sources,
> but the instructions reccomend it to be outside sources in a dedicated build
> directory. This says to me that it is in the root of lfs, which is correct
> please? If I put the dir in sources I can do a configure.

the ../ stuff is there because, as it says somewhere early in the book,
all commands are assumed to be executed from the untarred source
directory. So once you `tar -xvjf binutils-2.14.tar.bz2' it is assumed
you have done a `cd binutils-2.14' before executing any commands listed
int he book instructions.

> Also am I supposed to be logged in as su - lfs to do the builds?

For chapter five, yes. After you chroot in chapter six you will
essentially be logged in as root on the new lfs system.

> Why also does /home/lfs exist in the mandrake /home dir.

undoubtedly a side affect of creating the lfs user in mandrake.

> A pointer in the right direction would be appreciated.

I hope I could help.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182