unable to start the build of binutils-2.14

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu May 13 00:06:22 PDT 2004

Keith Antoine wrote:

>First I am very new to LFS but not of necessity new to linux. I do however
>have a short term memory problem due to a heart attack, hence I think this is
>where the problem lies. Now at the age of 70 I have memory problems per see
><|-).
>
>I do not suppose that the hardware has any bearings on thsi so i'll ignore.
>The Distro I am running is dvd version of Mandrake 10 (community).
>LFS is installed as per the book from /mnt/lfs and has the following:
>drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 May 12 17:55 binutils-build/
>drwx------  2 root root 4096 May  9 10:39 lost+found/
>drwxrwxrwt  6 lfs  root 4096 May 12 20:10 sources/
>drwxr-xr-x  2 lfs  root 4096 May 12 13:33 tools/
>all the above according to the book which I am doing copy/paste.
>
>Where is binutils-build supposed to be in the root of lfs or in sources.

As mentioned in the book (and yes, this is a FAQ you would have found
the answer to by searching the archives),
you should be cd'd into the directory created when unpacking the sources
before running the commands in the book.

So, here would be the progression:

tar jxvf binutils-2.14.tar.bz2
cd binutils-2.14
mkdir ../binutils-build
cd ../binutils-build
../binutils-2.14/configure blah blah

>Looking at the command ../binutils-2.14, this suggests that its in sources,
>but the instructions reccomend it to be outside sources in a dedicated build
>directory. This says to me that it is in the root of lfs, which is correct
>please? If I put the dir in sources I can do a configure.
>
>Also am I supposed to be logged in as su - lfs to do the builds?

Yes, for everything in chapter 5, you should be su'd to the lfs user -
this prevents you from possibly
damaging your host.

>Why also does /home/lfs exist in the mandrake /home dir.

Because your user "lfs" you create to build the packages in chapter 5
has to have a home directory.

>A pointer in the right direction would be appreciated.
>
>Keith Antoine
>Registered Geriatiric, Sometime Electronics Engineer, Brain in storage

Hope this helps

Jeremy