unable to start the build of binutils-2.14

Keith Antoine kantoine at optusnet.com.au
Thu May 13 02:24:33 PDT 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004 05:04 pm, Joel Miller wrote:
> Keith Antoine wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Where is binutils-build supposed to be in the root of lfs or in sources.
>
> It is supposed to be in sources.

That is what I assumed but was unable due to my start point. The book does not
allow for my type in that I was unsure where I should be in lfs to issue the
commands.

> the ../ stuff is there because, as it says somewhere early in the book,
> all commands are assumed to be executed from the untarred source
> directory. So once you `tar -xvjf binutils-2.14.tar.bz2' it is assumed
> you have done a `cd binutils-2.14' before executing any commands listed
> int he book instructions.

I have a big problem with memory, and what I read somewhere else has flown by
the time I got to this stage. I need to be told where I should be to issue
the command.

> > Also am I supposed to be logged in as su - lfs to do the builds?

I think I was but i am going to start all over again, with notes .

> For chapter five, yes. After you chroot in chapter six you will
> essentially be logged in as root on the new lfs system.
>
> > Why also does /home/lfs exist in the mandrake /home dir.
>
> undoubtedly a side affect of creating the lfs user in mandrake.
>
> > A pointer in the right direction would be appreciated.
>
> I hope I could help.

Yes you were, and many thanks for your time and reply

Keith Antoine aka Skippy
Linux-users at linux-sxs.org or 18 Arkana St, The Gap, Queensland, Australia
PH: 61 7 33002161
Registered retired geriatric, Sometime electronics engineer, Brain in storage