unable to start the build of binutils-2.14

Keith Antoine kantoine at optusnet.com.au
Thu May 13 02:31:38 PDT 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004 05:06 pm, Jeremy Utley wrote:

> >Where is binutils-build supposed to be in the root of lfs or in sources.
>
> As mentioned in the book (and yes, this is a FAQ you would have found
> the answer to by searching the archives),

As a matter of fact I did look at the FAQ but did not find what I wanted or I
found it unclear, but thats my problem.

> you should be cd'd into the directory created when unpacking the sources
> before running the commands in the book.

Great that is what I missed.

> So, here would be the progression:
>
> tar jxvf binutils-2.14.tar.bz2
> cd binutils-2.14
> mkdir ../binutils-build
> cd ../binutils-build
> ../binutils-2.14/configure blah blah

Now the above makes it all very clear to me, no matter what the book says it
did not convey what you have written so souciently. That is exactly what I
needed. I will be right now.

> >Also am I supposed to be logged in as su - lfs to do the builds?
>
> Yes, for everything in chapter 5, you should be su'd to the lfs user -
> this prevents you from possibly
> damaging your host.

Ok, yes I did understand that but was till unsure. I tend to keep questioning
myself, due to my unreliable memory.

> >Why also does /home/lfs exist in the mandrake /home dir.
>
> Because your user "lfs" you create to build the packages in chapter 5
> has to have a home directory.

right.

> Hope this helps

Most certainly did, many thanks for the time and reply.

--
Keith Antoine aka Skippy
Linux-users at linux-sxs.org or 18 Arkana St, The Gap, Queensland, Australia