Diff between "LFS-glibc" and "Debian-glibc"

Gueven Bay guevenbay at web.de
Thu May 13 08:10:35 PDT 2004

despinoz at isye.gatech.edu, schrieb am 13.05.04 16:07:36:

> > I compared the size of the installed glibc in LFS with the glibc in Debian.
> > Debian ca. 12 MB against LFS ca. 800MB 8-)
>
> One thing is the space required to build a package and the size they will use
> once installed, for example OpenOffice will use a little more than 5Gb on
> disk while building, but to install is only a couple of hundreds. My libc.so
> file (in /lib/libc-2.3.2.so) is only 18 Mb (without stripping it down), it
> may be possible to reduce it a little more by striping debugging symbols (the
> book talks about that), to further down.... I don't know.

And it seems that the Debian devs divided the glibc in little chunks - for example there are libstdc++ packages and glibc-doc is another package (look:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/libstdc++2.10-glibc2.1
http://packages.debian.org/stable/doc/glibc-doc ).
This can be another reason. Right?

regards,