On Boot Error: S20mountproc /bin/mount No such file or directory

Martin Cameron cameron at cameron.co.nz
Thu May 13 14:57:57 PDT 2004

Hi All

I finally made it through the setup of the lfs manual.

Unfortunately, however, during the boot sequence, I encounter an error:
	/etc/rc.d/rcsyninit.d/S20mountproc /bin/mount No such file or directory

I've reviewed the archives, and especially these two postings:
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-support/2002-August/027034.html
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-support/2002-August/026986.html

Neither of these two had the answer.

But here's the curious thing: when I chroot into the LFS system, all of
the required binaries are there as expected. For example, here's what
happens if I try to grep something:

        root:/# cd /usr/src/util-linux-2.12
        root:/usr/src/util-linux-2.12# grep 'mount' *
        bash: /bin/grep: No such file or directory
        root:/usr/src/util-linux-2.12#

But grep is there in the /bin directory:

        root:/usr/src/util-linux-2.12# ls -la /bin/grep
        -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      110241 May 12 14:16 /bin/grep
        root:/usr/src/util-linux-2.12#

Here is my chroot command:

	chroot $LFS /usr/bin/env -i >        HOME=/root TERM=$TERM PS1='\u:\w\$ ' >        PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin >        /bin/bash --login

The PATH has all the expected directories! All of the files are where expected! But they can't be found.

All of the symlinks are in place.

Regards
Martin

dangerous content by Cameron Internet Services, and is
believed to be clean.
Cameron Internet Services .