Read only LFS

Andrew Sharp andrew.sharp3 at ntlworld.com
Fri May 14 03:19:18 PDT 2004

On Friday 14 May 2004 05:10, Thomas Hackert wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Friday 14 May 2004 03:43, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> > At the end of the book 5.0 (built without deviance on any package
> > and all systems checked in Ch6), my system is bootable, but read
> > only.
> > The login prompt begins
> > (none) login:
> > then I see
> > Unable to change tty /dev/tty1 Read only file system.
> > No mail
>
> IIRC this was mentioned several times in this group ... You should
> search the archives to get the answer ;). I think it has something
> to do with your entries in /etc/inittab or so ...
>
> > tty0-30 all exist with a few ttyS files too, so it is not that. I
> > have modified my fstab to no avail from 1 1 to 0 0 for the root
> > partition. /, swap, proc, devpts and usbfs are the only
> > filesystems being mounted.
>
> Are you using devfs? Have you compiled it into the kernel? IIRC you
> must change your inittab from /dev/ttyX to /dev/vc/X or so ...
> Or install devfsd in your system ...
These scripts are done by a tarball these days, making this section idiot
proof much to my complaint (I remember book 4 was easier to understand in
this area). And I have been told not to touch devfs by the chatroom..

> What type of filesystem are you using? And how does your
> $LFS/etc/fstab looks like? Maybe an faulty entry there?
I have tried to force / to read write, but it doesn't help:

/dev/hda7     /            ext2       defaults,rw           0 0
/dev/hda6     swap         swap       pri=42                0 0

devpts        /dev/pts       devpts     mode=0620,gid=5     0 0
proc          /proc          proc       defaults            0 0
usbdevfs      /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs   noauto              0 0

Andrew