compile speed on lfs 5.0

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri May 14 14:46:49 PDT 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, mrnobby wrote:

> "mrnobby" <no at spam.please> wrote in message
> news:c73gn2$nbj$1 at belgarath.linuxfromscratch.org...
> > I've built LFS 5.0 on a P233 MMX.
> >
> > I'm rebuilding LFS 5.0 using the above LFS 5.0 build as the host on
> the
> > same machine.
> >
> > Why are my compile times now twice as long?
> >
> > Mr Nobby.
> >
> Well, I have rebuilt LFS 5.0, and now my 're-build' times are very
> similar to the original LFS build times. I can only assume I had done
> something to 'break' the LFS system. WHat I did though, I have not a
> clue.
>
> Thanks anyway to all who responded.
>
> Mr Nobby.

 FWIW, I spent a /lot/ of time at the beginning of the year repeatedly
building LFS on a K6-2 box, initially to tune my buildscripts, then to
see how playing with all/no tests, and all/minimal locales affected the
time and space.  Got overtaken by events, carried on with initial
upgrades for the 5.1 series.  Anyway, about one build in 6, or maybe 1
build in 10, the time for an SBU was about 10% longer.  Never did work
out why.

Ken