bash TERM variable different between LFS-4.1 and LFS-5.0

zoltan 6zoltan8 at comcast.net
Sun May 16 16:29:58 PDT 2004

Hello,

This problem has been vexing me for some time, and I can't quite make
any more progress on it, as I think I've checked everything.

On my LFS-4.1 machine, when I log in, as root or as myself, I get

$ echo $TERM
linux

while on my LFS-5.0 machine I get
$ echo $TERM
dumb

So I thought, great, a chance to learn about login shells and .bashrc
etc. files...

Now I'm familiar with all that, and I still don't know what's different.
  In fact, all of my .bashrc, .bash_profile, /etc/profile, /etc/bashrc,
and even my /etc/inputrc files are the same (I cp'd them).  I can't find
any hidden references to TERM, so I thought, one last chance, perhaps
the source defines TERM as dumb in the absense of anything else.  This
is exactly what happens in the variables.c file in the bash package.  So
I thought, okay, I'll fix that...I copied the bash binary from the
LFS-4.1 machine to the LFS-5.0, thinking that perhaps a long time ago
when I compiled bash on LFS-4.1 I changed the source from TERM=dumb to
TERM=linux, but I can't check the source, as that's long since history.

And still, regardless of which binary I run (LFS-4.1 bash or LFS-5.0
bash), on one machine TERM=linux and the other TERM=dumb.  Besides
messing with my dircolors settings, this is only frustrating because I
thought I understood the login process and the shell variable assignment
and all that good stuff...only to have this happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John