Kernel version question

Michael Brown michael at chatterwaul.com
Mon May 17 08:16:49 PDT 2004

Hi, this is my first post to the list. My question is:

The LFS book recommends kernel 2.4.22. Can I use kernel 2.4.26?

Here's a little more depth to my question:

I've just finished chapter 6.16. I'm in the chroot environment. So far,
all has gone well. However, I made the ignorant mistake of downloading
whatever versions Freshmeat had on their main project pages and for
probably 1/3 of the LFS packages, these are all NEWER versions than what
the LFS Book recommends. After a problem compiling the newer version of
coreutils with an older patch last night, I re-read the intro page to the
packages chapter and realized I should be using the versions recommended
by the book since I'm not an experienced LFS user. And so for all those
newer packages that I'd erroneously downloaded, I went back and found the
older, trusted ones. With one exception: the kernel.

Which leads to the question I asked above. Does anyone have any advice on
whether or not I'm going to run into significant problems trying to build
the 2.4.26 kernel with these LFS instructions? Right now, I've got Glibc,
Binutils, Gcc and Coreutils installed (all told, took about 15 hours on my
old dog). While I don't WANT to lose those 15 hours just because I
installed headers for the wrong kernel version, I'd much rather lose 15
than 50, which is what it could take by the time I get to the kernel
itself.

So, can it be done smoothly with 2.4.26 or should I abort now and start
over with 2.4.22?

Or: can I possibly reinstall the headers without having to recompile
Glibc, binutils, gcc and coreutils? I mean, if I can reinstall the headers
without messing up those already installed programs, then I'll do it in a
heartbeat. But my guess is those programs use info from those kernel
headers and if I change now it could mess things up. Right? Any advice?

Thanks muchly!
Michael Brown

[ michaelbrown ]