Kernel version question

Allard Welter allard at quicknet.nl
Mon May 17 08:58:25 PDT 2004

On Monday 17 May 2004 17:16, Michael Brown wrote:
> Hi, this is my first post to the list. My question is:
>
> The LFS book recommends kernel 2.4.22. Can I use kernel 2.4.26?

[snip]
> Which leads to the question I asked above. Does anyone have any
> advice on whether or not I'm going to run into significant problems
> trying to build the 2.4.26 kernel with these LFS instructions? Right
> now, I've got Glibc, Binutils, Gcc and Coreutils installed (all told,
> took about 15 hours on my old dog). While I don't WANT to lose those
> 15 hours just because I installed headers for the wrong kernel
> version, I'd much rather lose 15 than 50, which is what it could take
> by the time I get to the kernel itself.

The most important thing is that the kernel headers to which glibc was
linked remain in place. Once the whole system is built, there is no
problem running a kernel with a later version as long as you leave the
'old' headers in /usr/include.

Here are your options:
1) Continue with chapter 6 as is. When you've finished, build the new
kernel before rebooting.
2) Start chapter 6 again using the new kernel headers. The tools you
have (using the old kernel headers) will work fine.
3) Use LFS-5.1 The tools you have _should_ still work (I'm sticking my
neck out here because I haven't tried this, and 5.1 was only released a
day or two ago)

If it were my system I'd go for the adventurous option 3).
[snip]

Success,
Allard