Kernel version question

Michael Brown michael at chatterwaul.com
Mon May 17 10:19:31 PDT 2004

> Here are your options:
> 1) Continue with chapter 6 as is. When you've finished, build the new
> kernel before rebooting.
> 2) Start chapter 6 again using the new kernel headers. The tools you
> have (using the old kernel headers) will work fine.
> 3) Use LFS-5.1 The tools you have _should_ still work (I'm sticking my
> neck out here because I haven't tried this, and 5.1 was only released a
> day or two ago)
>
> If it were my system I'd go for the adventurous option 3).

Thanks very much for your kind help!

Just to clarify: I'm already using 2.4.26 headers. I installed those
before I REALLY read the part in the book about using only the "listed"
versions of the software. So in my case following LFS book 5.0,
Man-pages-1.60, Glibc-2.3.2, Binutils-2.14, Gcc-3.3.1 and Coreutils-5.0
have all been installed under the kernel 2.4.26 headers.

So I guess I'm already following option # 2 above, right? Unless I've
misunderstood something, it sounds like I can continue with 5.0 even
though I'm using kernel 2.4.26 instead of 2.4.22. Like Jochen said: "The
rule to use only the packages of the book has one exception, the
kernel...."

Footnote: What luck that I should undertake my first LFS project only days
before the new book is released - if I'd just waited two days I'd be using
the new versions instead. Still, this LFS thing is a heck of a lot of fun.
Thanks again for your help!

[ michaelbrown ]