LFS on ARM

James Inge james at inge.org.uk
Mon May 17 11:40:18 PDT 2004

Hi there,

I am trying to build a LFS 5.0 system for the Arm architechture, and
have been running into difficulties with the toolchain.  Basically, I
can compile everything without errors, but when I try to run programs,
many of them segfault.  In many (but not all cases), the problem goes
away if the program is compiled statically.  From reading mailing list
archives, I think it is a bug arising from the combination of binutils,
glibc and gcc used.  (More details below)

Has anyone else had this problem?  Are there any patches or compile time
options I can use to make it go away?  Static compiling is rather
tedious, space consuming, and doesn't always work.

Otherwise, what is the most recent toolchain that anyone has got working
on an Arm system?

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help.

Regards,

    James Inge

---

I am using a Chalice CATS board with a Strongarm110 processor and 64MB
RAM (arm v4, little-endian).  Initially I used the LFS 5.0 instructions
(binutils 2.14, glibc-2.3.2, gcc-3.3.1), but I have since tried
gcc-3.3.2 and -3.3.3, to no effect.

I found in the gcc mailing list archives that gcc-2.95.3 works with
glibc-2.2.3 or -2.2.5, but gcc-3.1 and 3.2 don't.  Sadly the glibc 2.3.x
releases in the LFS book now require gcc 3.2 or greater, and these
combinations aren't working for me.  Has the problem been fixed in
glibc-2.3.3?  Should I revert to glibc-2.2-5, and if so, what effect
will this have on the rest of the toolchain (do I need earlier
binutils?) and the rest of the distribution?

For reference, the programs I've had segfault are ls, dir, vdir, tar,
chgrp, chown, su, bash, ping, dnsdomainname, route, arp, install, ps, w,
shadow, init, syslogd, klogd, shutdown, halt.