isdn on lfs 5.0 big problem after dial-in

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed May 19 15:21:36 PDT 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004 mad-ktulu at t-online.de wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> i installed an lfs 5.0 system successfully
> after that i set up my isdn system like i did in the 4.0 or 4.1 versions before .
> i use a avm pritz! PCI and my provider is t-online.
>
> So now the problem : i dial with " isdnctrl dial ippp0" , then my system puts out
>
> >> isdnnet : dialing triggered
> >> ippp0 connected <<
>
> everything seems fine since im connected , but i am unable to receive
> any data ,cannot ping, cannot browse with Konqueror ....etc

 Check the output of `route' (it might take some seconds to tell you
everything).  Particularly, is ippp0 shown as the default route ?  If it
isn't, probably an error in the isdn/ppp packages or scripts.

 If the default route is ok, build traceroute and try to see where
things go.  For most of us, this is a bit hit and miss because you have
to pick a host which will respond to these packets.  Basically, if you
can see stuff getting beyond t-online then it is ok.

 If traceroute cannot resolve the name (e.g. try www.kernel.de.org) then
your nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf are probably missing/wrong, or
perhaps /etc/nsswitch.conf.  Maybe double-check these first!

> So im really getting crazy because its working on suse 8.0 also
> installed on the same machine , even all configuration is exactly the
> same!!
>
> any idea any1??
>
> thx really much

HTH