èLFS 5.1 - runit] halt reboots

Richard A Downing FBCS richard at 109bean.org.uk
Mon May 24 02:58:57 PDT 2004

feanorelf at fastwebnet.it wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> My LFS is based on release 5.1, with 'More control and package management
> using package users' (v0.8) and 'Build with runit' hints.
> As I had not installed sysvinit, I was missing those nice utilities like
> shutdown, wall, halt, reboot...
> Searching through the mailing list, I found the suggestion to install them
> from util-linux, and so I did.
> The point is that now 'halt' performs a reboot, instead of haliting the
> system... not a big problem, but I'd like to have 'halt' halting.

I don't think you are wise to use runit for your first LFS build.  I
would suggest that you install sysvinit and the standard lfs-bootscripts
until you really undertand how these things work.

However, if you really want a halt command, write a script called 'halt'
containing 'init 0'.  The 'reboot' script should read 'init 6'.  This is
all in the runit documentation.

--
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP
http://www.109bean.org.uk/