Odd file name: /lfs/tools/bin/[

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed May 26 07:09:47 PDT 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Peter Clarke wrote:

> I've just done the stripping at the end of chapter 5 of LFS 5.1 and
> noticed that in /lfs/tools/bin there is a file named [
> This doesn't look right to me so I'm wondering if I need worry about it.
> I don't know if something has been zapped.
>
> Here's the first part of ls -l on /lfs/tools/bin:
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 lfs users   24300 May 26 13:38 [

 Perfectly normal.  Somewhere in chapter 6 we use a symlink to create
/bin/[ (symlinked to /bin/test) but we don't bother in chapter 5.
Without digging deeper than I care to, I'm not sure where it comes from,
but it's nothing to worry about.

 And thanks, I suppose, for showing me that my "minimal" package
management to identify what was installed by looking at the timestamps
with `ls -l' isn't adequate (my /tools/bin/[ has the time from when I
ran the strip commands!).  Time to start adding some `find'
infrastructure to my buildscripts. ;-)

Ken