USB support

Mark Carey mark.carey at paradise.net.nz
Sat May 29 00:41:42 PDT 2004

Ok so I have a working (or seemingly so) LFS5.0 system however I built
kernel 2.4.26 rather than 2.4.22, I am progressing through BLFS and am
about to build x.org xserver however I am worried that a message I get
on boot will prevent the mouse from working.

I have the line from pp 195,
``usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0''
in /etc/fstab when the machine boots up I get an error, which is not
visible in dmesg, which indicates that the mount point does not exist.
So I try to make it, and mkdir refuses to work.

``mkdir: cannot create directory `usb': No such file or directory''

Why and do I need usbfs mounted? I ask because during the kernel boot
chatter I know the usb code sees my MS optical mouse but it doesnt know
whic drivers to use for it.  Do I need Greg KH's hotplug?

Any suggestions?

Mark