USB support

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Sat May 29 02:06:29 PDT 2004

Mark Carey wrote:
> Ok so I have a working (or seemingly so) LFS5.0 system however I built
> kernel 2.4.26 rather than 2.4.22, I am progressing through BLFS and am
> about to build x.org xserver however I am worried that a message I get
> on boot will prevent the mouse from working.
>
> I have the line from pp 195,
> ``usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0''
> in /etc/fstab when the machine boots up I get an error, which is not
> visible in dmesg, which indicates that the mount point does not exist.
> So I try to make it, and mkdir refuses to work.

Grrrr... where did this line come from? I was the original author of
this "usb" section and the line reads differently.

> Why and do I need usbfs mounted? I ask because during the kernel boot
> chatter I know the usb code sees my MS optical mouse but it doesnt know
> whic drivers to use for it.  Do I need Greg KH's hotplug?

The USB mouse will be seen as /dev/input/mouse0 (sorry, you have to
figure out the correct mknod command - it is not in the book). You don't
have to have usbfs mounted if you decided to live without hotplug.
Hotplug is recommended, but not 100% necessary. For Hotplug instructions
valid for 2.4.x kernels, see Hardware Detection Hint. The hotplug
instructions in LFS CVS HEAD are for 2.6.x.

> Any suggestions?

You compiled usbcore ("USB Device Filesystem support") as a module or
didn't compile it at all. Bootscripts currently don't handle usbcore
being a module and probably won't support it in the future. And probably
you don't need it at all if you can configure your BIOS to emulate a
PS/2 mouse.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr [!-:] [a-z] | tr n .