USB support

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat May 29 03:02:21 PDT 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Mark Carey wrote:

> Ok so I have a working (or seemingly so) LFS5.0 system however I built
> kernel 2.4.26 rather than 2.4.22, I am progressing through BLFS and am
> about to build x.org xserver however I am worried that a message I get
> on boot will prevent the mouse from working.
>
> I have the line from pp 195,
> ``usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0''
> in /etc/fstab when the machine boots up I get an error, which is not
> visible in dmesg, which indicates that the mount point does not exist.
> So I try to make it, and mkdir refuses to work.
>
> ``mkdir: cannot create directory `usb': No such file or directory''

 If you want to mount usbfs, you need to build it into the kernel.
In 2.4.26, this is
USB Support -> Preliminary USB Device Filesystem
which will set CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS.

> Why and do I need usbfs mounted?

 Hard to say if you *need* it mounted.  The only usb on this particular
box is a printer, and to my considerable surprise I don't have usbfs
mounted.  Some of my other boxes do have it mounted, and it was very
useful for working out why things weren't working.

>I ask because during the kernel boot
> chatter I know the usb code sees my MS optical mouse but it doesnt know
> whic drivers to use for it.  Do I need Greg KH's hotplug?

 I've got a usb mouse on a laptop running LFS-4.1, so I'm fairly sure
hotplug isn't required to use a usb mouse.  On the other hand, my mouse
is a basic two-buttons and scrollwheel job and I don't remember if the
scrollwheel works (I don't use the bells and whistles!).

finding the mknod commands by looking at my make_devices patch at
patches.linuxfromscratch.org.

Ken