INIT: /etc/inittab[2]: missing action field

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Sat May 29 16:08:58 PDT 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004, Nabil Attar wrote:

> When i boot i got the follwoing errors
> INIT: version 2.85 booting
> INIT: /etc/inittab[2]: missing action field
> INIT: /etc/inittab[4]: missing action field
> INIT: /etc/inittab[6]: missing action field
> INIT: /etc/inittab[14]: missing action field
> INIT: /etc/inittab[14]: missing action field
> INIT: /etc/inittab[16]: missing action field
> INIT: /etc/inittab[18]: missing action field
> .d does not existit
> INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
> .d does not exist
>
> (none) login:
>

> i have the identical /etc/inittab as following

I suspect not! The ".d does not existit" tends to indicate that a field
delimiter is someplace it should not be or there is an illegal character
somewhere. I suggest you use an editor, like vi, to look at what is
actually in /etc/inittab. Use the 'l' command to see even tabs if they
are there.

If everything still looks OK, attach the actual file in your next post
so we can diff it with ones that work.

> id:3:initdefault:
>
> si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc sysinit
>
> l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 0
> l1:S1:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 1
> l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 2
> l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 3
> l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 4
> l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 5
> l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 6
>
> ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now
>
> su:S016:once:/sbin/sulogin
>
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty1 9600
> 2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty2 9600
> 3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty3 9600
> 4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty4 9600
> 5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty5 9600
> 6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty6 9600
> # End /etc/inittab
>

> Help me pleassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
>
> Nabil

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet