permission denied error

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Sat May 29 22:51:58 PDT 2004

Qv6 wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I am trying to cobble together my own system using instructions from the lfs.
> Everything was going fine until I got to "mkdir ../binutils-build" and got
> this error message ;
>
> lfs:~$ pwd
> /home/lfs
> lfs:~$ mkdir ../binutils-build
> mkdir: cannot create directory `../binutils-build': Permission denied.
>
> As you can tell, I am logged in as user lfs and in my home directory. Do I
> need to  "su" to a different directory and issue the mkdir command or is
> there something else I need to do.
>
> Any help will be appreciated

You need to reread the introduction of chapter five in the book. It
explains what directory you should be in when executing commands in the
book. I and the rest of the list will be happy to help you with issues
you have while following the LFS bok but this issue is addressed
directly in its pages. You should find your answer there.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182