permission denied error

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun May 30 05:05:51 PDT 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004, Keith Antoine wrote:

> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:23:32 +1000
> >Keith Antoine <kantoine at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> >

> >>I made the same error and it took quite a while to work out as the
> >>book is not 'specific' as to where
> >>one should be when you issue the commands.
> >>

> >Errr, yes it is -
> >http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/5.1/chapter05/chapter05.html#ch-tools-introduction:
> >
> >---
> >Before issuing the build instructions for a package, you are expected to
> >have already unpacked it (explained shortly) as user lfs, and to have
> >performed a cd into the created directory. The build instructions assume
> >that you are using the bash shell.
> >---

> Yes I did read that and as I was sued in and therefore in /home/lfs it
> took a while to realise that I was supposed
> to have issued a cd to /mnt/lfs/source/xxx. I was concentrating on the
> book pages and literally interpreting what
> I read, which caused the ambiguity. I realised that the person was doing
> what I did and I also realise how difficult
> it is to write something literally.
>
> But thanks I stand corrected.

 What's with the fixation about _building_ chapter 5 in /mnt/lfs/source/
?  These days I'm building chapter 5 in /mnt/lfs.  The only requirement
for where you build chapter 5 is that binutils pass 2 and the associated
binutils-build need to be accessible from chroot.

 FWIW, I build chapter 6 in /usr/src, so all the l33t hack0rz can mod me
down as "-1 old and conventional" :-)

 Going back to what started this thread, sounds as if the OP failed to
chown wherever he was building to lfs.

Ken