permission denied error

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Sun May 30 06:12:33 PDT 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004, Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 2004, Keith Antoine wrote:
> > Matthew Burgess wrote:
> > >On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:23:32 +1000
> > >Keith Antoine <kantoine at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > ><snip>

> > Yes I did read that and as I was sued in and therefore in /home/lfs it
> > took a while to realise that I was supposed
> > to have issued a cd to /mnt/lfs/source/xxx. I was concentrating on the
> > book pages and literally interpreting what
> > I read, which caused the ambiguity. I realised that the person was doing
> > what I did and I also realise how difficult
> > it is to write something literally.
> >
> > But thanks I stand corrected.
> >

>  What's with the fixation about _building_ chapter 5 in /mnt/lfs/source/
> ?  These days I'm building chapter 5 in /mnt/lfs.  The only requirement
> for where you build chapter 5 is that binutils pass 2 and the associated
> binutils-build need to be accessible from chroot.

IIRC, this originated with a suggestion by Alex (I've not checked the
archives) attempting to eliminate what he perceived as ambiguity and
provide a more tightly-scripted set of instructions.

I just ignore it unless I'm trying to test the book.

>  FWIW, I build chapter 6 in /usr/src, so all the l33t hack0rz can mod me
> down as "-1 old and conventional" :-)

I use that frequently, but also other private directories. +.5 old and
conventional.

>  Going back to what started this thread, sounds as if the OP failed to
> chown wherever he was building to lfs.

Same feeling here.

> Ken

Bill Maltby