initscripts not running on bootup

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Mon May 31 10:09:18 PDT 2004

* Bob Hockney <zeus at ix.netcom.com> [2004-05-31 18:59]:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a lfs system that has worked OK for some time, but now when I boot up
> after the normal kernel messages init starts in runlevel 3 (the default in
> inittab) and then immediately goes to a login prompt.  It never runs the
> initscripts.  I am able to login and manually run through the scripts in
> rcsysint.d, then run /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 3 and everything seems to work OK,
> with the exception of sshd, which will run in the foreground but not as a
> daemon.  Following is my inittab file.  I would appreciate anyones thoughts on
> this.  Thanks in advance.

Being paranoid, I would first make sure you were not rooted. This could
be the result of a (maybe botched) hack attempt or rootkit install. Check your
rc function against that of a freshly downloaded bootscript tarball and
then run some rootkit checkers.

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/