Do I Need to <setup> GRUB

Justin Julian d4mography at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:31:47 PST 2005

You should not have to re-run grub every time you change your
grub.conf file (one of the many advantages of grub over LiLo). If you
have properly installed grub, and can boot your host system with it,
then you should just change your grub.conf file with the new
information.

Just make sure that the arguments you pass in the <kernel> statement
are correct. Always be sure to back up the file before you modify it,
and always make sure you have a boot / rescue disk handy. Always leave
your host system as the default, and add the new system in a
non-default position. If you select a non-default option at the grub
menu, and grub cannot boot that OS, grub is usually quite good at
kicking you back to the grub menu, and allowing you to choose another
OS.

Clear as mud?