LFS 6 from LFS 5

Daniel Davis ucf.aeroengineer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 11:20:02 PST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 1:52 PM, Justin Julian <d4mography at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have given up and am going to use Slackware 10.1 as the host, but I
> would like to know the following:

I can't answer your questions directly but I can warn you about this.
I have been working on this for a week or so to try to determine the
best way to accomplish building it from Slack and here's what I've
found:

1) Slack apparently has a broken libc.a and it causes the chapter 5
static build of glibc to fail.  It has something to do with libs being
stripped by the people producing Slack using a buggy copy of the strip
command.

There are some workarounds to this including rebuilding the host libs
or compiling the chapter 5 binutils and gcc as dynamic rather than
static.  I'm trying to figure out the best fix right now.

2) Slack's before slack-current (the development slack) are using 2.4
kernels.  The slack-current changelog lists a switch to 2.6.11 a
couple weeks ago so I'm dowloading it to see if it might also fix
problem 1.

It isn't too hard to update the kernel but the posted solutions to 1
bother me so I'm trying to figure out the best solution.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Davis
Aerospace Engineering major
University of Central Florida - Orlando