"no more ptys" problem (chap 6 after glibc build)

Daniel Davis ucf.aeroengineer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 09:27:11 PDT 2005

I'm a fairly experienced LFS user but it's been 6 months since my last
build.  I'm running into the no more ptys problem.

I've verified that all of the steps at the beginning of Chap 6 have been
followed and the devpts mount is there. I've also followed every tip I
could find in wiki.linuxfromscratch.org

I'm building the system from the LFS 6.0 boot disc using the 6.0 stable
text.  The specific problem I get is when I do the expect on pg 123 at
the beginning of the binutils pass.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?  I know I built it fine
using version 5 of the book a year ago but I have been running into one
problem after another.  I initially started building it with Slack 10.1
but gave up after running into serious issues compiling glibc in chap 5
with nptl.  I know I could've reverted to linuxthreads but thought maybe
the boot cd would be a cleaner host system.  It seems to work well
except for this issue.

Thanks for any help.

Daniel Davis
Aerospace Engineering major