Booting New LFS System Ends in Kernel Panic

Dan McGhee farmerdan at i-rule.net
Sun Apr 3 17:44:24 PDT 2005

Thanks,  Andrew.   I won't get to this stuff tonight.  I'm fried.  But
when someone replies to one of my posts, I want them to know that I've
read it and will attempt what they suggest.

Andrew Benton wrote:

I don't understand what an initrd does as I don't use one. I have no
trouble booting without one. I think distros like to use them as it
means they can boot to a certain point then probe for what
hardware/chipset your system has, load the modules it needs to support
that system and then continue to boot.

I just became really clear on this today.  An initrd is an image of the
kernel that gets loaded in memory so that you can build a completely
modular kernel and pass modules to it before the "real" kernel gets
loaded.  As you know, you can't pass modules to the kernel until it's up
and running.  Initrd gets mounted as a loop back device.

>> My guess is that the problem is in your kernel config. If I were you
>> I'd recompile the kernel (again and again). When you do make
>> menuconfig have a good look at the chipset options on the menu
>

> Device Drivers  --->
> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support  --->

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll look quite closely and post success or
the lack thereof.

Thanks,

Dan